Launched on October 1, 2014
Defenders of Freedom is a Non Profit Organization committed to supporting post 9/11 Veterans with emergencies and transitioning back to the Pittsburgh area.
"Defenders of Freedom" is a 501c3 Non Profit Organization committed to supporting Veterans of post 9/11 with life & career mentoring, job search assistance and general transitioning to the civilian sector.
Defenders of Freedom (DOF) was birthed from the Welcome Home a Hero program at the Dallas Fort Worth Airport in September of 2004. This program supported the Army's Rest and Recuperation program for weary Soldiers to come home for 2 weeks during their yearlong tour. Donna Cranston attended her first greeting in June of 2004, and it changed her life. Her son was in Iraq at that time. As she met more and more Soldiers coming through the airport and learned many were not receiving care packages, she decided to support them. As the numbers grew she knew she needed some help sustaining it and found that many people wanted to help, they simply didn't know how. She formed Defenders of Freedom as an avenue to connect the community to the Troops.
As the wars have prolonged the focus of Defenders of Freedom has turned to helping Veterans at home. DOF offers emergency financial assistance to wounded and transitioning Veterans, resume preparation, and employment searches. Additionally, they have Veteran initiated programs for peer mentoring. They continue to send care packages upon request from deployed Troops.
"Defenders of Freedom" is a 501(c)(3) Non Profit Organization committed to supporting Post 9/11 Veterans with emergency financial assistance for a smooth transition to civilian life.
If you are seeking assistance, please use this form to contact someone in the organization.
- Provide details on Request Assistance Page
- Member 2 or member 4 DD214 must be submitted for DOF Board review (for enhanced security purposes, please remove or cover up any confidential or sensitive information, including social security number, etc)
- Must be Honorable Discharged
- Must have been deployed overseas with boots on ground in a combat zone
- Provide brief description of support being requested
- Provide supporting current documentation for rent, lease, utility, auto and other emergency events